Who is an AHP?
Our Trust employs several AHPs – Dietitians, Diagnostic Radiographers, Occupational Therapists, Operating Department Practitioners, Orthotists, Orthoptists, Physiotherapists and Speech and Language Therapists.
Any former AHP with a professional healthcare qualification from the UK or from overseas with a qualification that is recognised by the Health and Care Professions Council (HCPC), that has been off the register for more than two years can be supported to return to practice.
A period of updating skills and knowledge needs to be undertaken, which includes a combination of formal study, private study and supervised practice. There are a minimum number of hours a person will need to complete to update their skills/knowledge, depending on the time they have been off the HCPC register:
- 0-2 years out of your profession - no requirements
- 2-5 years out of your profession - 30 days of updating
- > 5 years out of your profession - 60 days of updating
- We offer supervised placements which are a great way to build your confidence in the workplace after a gap from the working environment
- We value your past working experience and life experience and take these into account when arranging your supervised practice placement
- Returning on a voluntary route provides you flexibility to balance your home and work commitments.
- WHH employs qualified AHPs and clinical support workers and there are several opportunities for employment in both staff groups.
Warrington and Halton Teaching Hospitals can support with providing a supervised practice which will help to fulfil the number of hours required to return to practice. We can discuss your needs and if appropriate, arrange a suitable placement within your profession. You will be supervised and supported during the placement by a clinician who is employed at WHH.
No. We welcome AHP professionals from any background to complete their Return to Practice updating with us.
WHH will employ you as a volunteer. You are encouraged to register with Health Education England, who will pay up to £800 to support any appropriate HCPC registrant returning to practice.
Please follow the below link for more information:
Before applying, you need to consider which areas interest you, your career aspirations and where you feel you may be most suited in accordance with your previous skills and experience. To express your interest or find out more information please email the Practice Educator Facilitator team on Whh.email@example.com.
You can also follow our AHP twitter account: @WHHAHPS