CQC hospital inspections
The CQC also perform hospital inspections that check standards and that we are treating patients with respect, involving patients in their care, caring for people safely and protecting them from harm. Inspections also look at staffing. These inspections can be unannounced inspections where the trust has no notice of the CQC visiting or themed inspections looking at particular areas.
All trusts also now receive a comprehensive CQC inspection of services where a team of inspectors come for a longer period of time and look at all services across a hospital trust.
Our comprehensive inspection took place in March/April 2019 and the results were published in July 2019.
- CQC inspectors awards GOOD across the board in Trust’s latest inspection
- Critical Care receives Outstanding for Care
- Trust’s Journey to CQC ‘Outstanding’ reaches milestone
Warrington and Halton Hospitals have been rated ‘GOOD’ overall by the Care Quality Commission, following their inspection in March and April 2019, with Critical Care awarded ‘Outstanding’ for Care.
The report, published July 2019, shows significant improvement across all five key lines of enquiry (Safe, Caring, Responsive, Effective and Well Led) with the CQC awarding ‘GOOD’ to each element for both hospitals. This is a significant improvement and shows positive movement across all key areas.
The Trust is continuing with its journey to be outstanding and builds on a strong platform, with the CQC inspectors identifying numerous areas of ‘outstanding practice’ including: The Smart Heart programme run by consultant cardiologist Dr Ahmed Farag with primary school children, the Frailty Unit and the selection by NHS England of the Consultant Nurse as their ‘expert advisor’: the widely adopted facilities and practices for those living with dementia, Critical Care’s outreach practice, and the Maternity Bereavement service which won the Butterfly Award Best Hospital Bereavement Team.
Report summary findings:
We rated safe, effective, caring, responsive and well-led as good. All five core services we inspected during this inspection we rated as good.
In rating the trust, we took into account the current ratings of the six services not inspected this time.
- We rated well-led for the trust overall as good.
- Our rating for Warrington Hospital and Halton General Hospital were both good which was an improvement since the last inspection.
- Our ratings for medical care and critical care at Warrington Hospital were both good which was an improvement from the last inspection. Our ratings for surgery at Warrington Hospital and Halton General Hospital were both good which was the same rating as the last inspection.
- We rated maternity at Warrington Hospital as good. We previously inspected maternity jointly with gynaecology so we cannot compare our new ratings directly with previous ratings. We rated outpatients at Halton General Hospital as good. We previously inspected outpatients with diagnostic imaging so we cannot compare our new ratings directly with previous ratings.
Want to know more?
Click here to read full report.
Visit the CQC website here for latest reports from their inspections at our trust.