The Smokefree Pregnancy Service are specialist midwives that see pregnant women who wish for support to stop smoking.
We will also see any partner’s, family members or friends that want to quit too and can come to your appointment with you. We see people who are planning a pregnancy, are at any stage in pregnancy, or are postnatal. You can also access Nicotine Replacement Therapy (NRT) in the form of patches, mouth spray, inhalator, gum or lozenges via the Smokefree Pregnancy Service, we will provide support from the get go.
Stopping smoking will greatly reduce your risk of miscarriage, stillbirth, birth defects, premature birth, and Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS). Stopping smoking will also help children in later life as it will reduce their risk of asthma, respiratory and ear infections, and mean that they are less likely to become a smoker themselves.
If you wish for any support or have any questions, please contact Sarah Currell and Amanda Taberner on 07770341468 or refer yourself to the service via BadgerNet. If you need more support to refer ask your midwife or doctor.
Resources to help you in your journey to smokefree
Smoke Free App
Quitting smoking is tough, but support is available by downloading the Smoke Free App and Accessing its Pro Features Completely Free of Charge.
Stopping smoking as early as possible in pregnancy is the best thing you can do, but it’s never too late — as soon as you stop, you and your baby benefit. It is much easier to stop smoking when you get the right support and there are lots of options for you to choose from, including stop smoking apps.
To help you in your quitting journey, and as part of your antenatal care, the pro version of the Smoke Free App has been made available to you to download free of charge for six months, which includes:
• 24/7 one-to-one support from stop smoking advisors, who have years of experience helping pregnant women quit. Whenever you need help, they can answer any questions confidentially and offer encouragement during your quitting journey.
• Friendly advice from the Quit Coach chatbot, providing anonymous support instantly.
• Advisor led drop-in chatrooms four times a day, helping you with key quitting challenges.
There’s lots more available too:
• A dashboard shows your time smoke free — every hour not smoking means your baby is getting more oxygen that it needs to develop.
• You can upload a photo of your baby scan to the app. Each time you crave a cigarette, look at that photo to remind yourself of your motivation to quit.
• You can keep a diary to log your cravings and write down how you feel. When you look back at your entries, you’ll see how far you’ve come and how much better you feel.
• You can also join the Smoke Free Facebook Community Group - facebook.com/
An advisor can also send you a copy of the pregnancy e-book – ‘Your guide to getting smoke free during pregnancy’.
The app can be downloaded via a link or QR code; your Smokefree Pregnancy Service can provide this to you when you are referred to them. For more information contact Sarah Currell or Amanda Taberner on 07770341468.
We hope that you find the app helpful in supporting your quitting journey.