Message from Dr Alex Crowe, Medical Director
I am pleased to advise that the Trust has revived its ‘My Choice©’ self pay service at our hospitals, intended for patients unable to access treatments considered Procedures of Low Clinical Priority (PLCP).
Originally introduced in 2013, we have continued to see patients on an ad-hoc basis since that time but have now considerably expanded the range of procedures available.
With the increasing number of procedures now classed as PLCPs we would like to offer your patients an affordable alternative should they be denied treatments on the NHS at the local NHS price, at their local hospitals.
We know how difficult it can be delivering the news to patients that the procedure they may once have been routinely offered is no longer available to them. My Choice gives patients (the majority of whom will not have medical insurance) to pay for their procedure at a lower cost than they would be offered by private providers. Some key facts:
· My Choice patients are treated as part of the Trust’s normal elective programme, there are no special privileges – they are simply occupying a slot on a scheduled list
· MY Choice treatments do not impact on NHS activity – they fill under-utilised capacity which, if unfilled, may have to be reduced or removed
· My Choice provides an opportunity to maintain and promote skills in junior doctors which would not be available should these procedures be discontinued at the Trust
· The My Choice programme is being monitored through our usual governance processes and closely by our Medical Cabinet
· The My Choice treatments list has been drawn up based on the CCG’s PLCP Policy and in consultation with WHH Clinicians and Primary Care colleagues – we are happy to consider further suggestions to meet GP needs.
· As you are aware WHH has a proven track record in delivering outstanding elective care at Halton General and CMTC hospitals and is consistently rated 4.5-5* by patients
· My Choice is By the NHS, For the NHS – together we can help maintain and grow services for our patient populations.
Our team would be glad to visit your practice with additional materials or talk to your team about this service – please email us on firstname.lastname@example.org to request this.