Sign up to Safety
Listen, Learn, Act - Listening to patients, carers and staff, learning from what they say when things go wrong and taking action to improve patients’ safety.
Warrington and Halton Hospitals has signed up to the national Sign up to Safety initiative.
Sign up to Safety is designed to help realise the ambition of making the NHS the safest healthcare system in the world by creating a system devoted to continuous learning and improvement. This ambition is bigger than any individual or organisation and achieving it requires us all to unite behind this common purpose. We need to give patients confidence that we are doing all we can to ensure that the care they receive will be safe and effective at all times.
Sign up to Safety aims to deliver harm free care for every patient, every time, everywhere. It champions openness and honesty and supports everyone to improve the safety of patients. This is something that our trust has been working towards over the last few years.
Sign up to Safety’s three year objective is to reduce avoidable harm by 50% and save 6,000 lives across the NHS.
The five Sign up to Safety pledges
Organisations and individuals who sign up to the campaign commit to setting out actions they will undertake in response to the following five pledges
- Put safety first. Commit to reduce avoidable harm in the NHS by half and make public the goals and plans developed locally.
- Continually learn. Make their organisations more resilient to risks, by acting on the feedback from patients and by constantly measuring and monitoring how safe their services are.
- Honesty. Be transparent with people about their progress to tackle patient safety issues and support staff to be candid with patients and their families if something goes wrong.
- Collaborate. Take a leading role in supporting local collaborative learning, so that improvements are made across all of the local services that patients use.
- Support. Help people understand why things go wrong and how to put them right. Give staff the time and support to improve and celebrate the progress.
What happens next?
Organisations who Sign up to Safety commit to strengthen patient safety by:
- Setting out the actions they will undertake in response to the five Sign up to Safety pledges and agree to publish this on their website for staff, patients and the public to see.
- Committing to turn their actions into a safety improvement plan (including a driver diagram) which will show how organisations intend to save lives and reduce harm for patients over the next 3 years.
You can read our actions with how we have responded locally to the pledges here in our sign up document. It shows our commitments under each of the pledges:
Finding out more
You can find out more about Sign up to Safety at the campaign website:
You can read more about some of our ongoing quality and safety work in our Quality Account: