Workforce in focus
How our worforce will develop
Our strategic people plan is designed to support the achievement of the nine objectives for the hospital. It specifically underpins the achievement of delivering sustainable, appropriate and high performing services for our patients and communities, supporting and developing our workforce, and is underpinned by the vision of having a truly engaged workforce.
We anticipate that the number of staff in the trust will remain relatively stable over the five year period although small changes will happen as a result of efficiency initiatives across the trust as we introduce new ways of working and new technology in 2014/15 and 2015/16.
However, staff will be expected to work in new ways to meet new demands in how we provide services.
What you'll see
Over the next five years:
- We will be developing our leaders through a variety of routes, right through from the tools and training that we give to managers in their first appointment leading a team, through to more formal development for middle and senior managers which will enable them to motivate and engage their teams.
- Our workforce planning will become more sophisticated over the next five years to take account of significant change across the health and social care system.
- Taking account of changes such as the provision of more seven day services, person centred care and the more integrated approach to patient pathways will present challenges in relation to supply of people with the right skills. This coupled with funding, education and commissioning challenges will mean we have to look at new workforce models for the delivery of care, often in partnership with other organisations.
- We have an on-going need to provide a level of education and learning support to all colleagues to enable them to do their jobs effectively.
- We will increasingly make demands on all staff in relation to new ways of working, technology and changes to care pathways and we will need to ensure that our education and learning plans take account of all of this.
- We have developed a health and wellbeing strategy and will be developing a plan for each year to include specific initiatives that will encourage people to take responsibility for their own health and wellbeing as well as support that we can provide as a trust.